The Day of Syn celebrations go back
more than 40 years. The first Day of Syn was held in 1964
as a way of raising funds for the renewal of the roof of St
Peter & St Paul Parish Church. The then Rector of Dymchurch,
Reverend Ronald Meredith, and the Parochial Church Council made
the decision to hold a pageant based on the Dr Syn stories and
the author, Russell Thorndike gave his permission for the title,
Day of Syn, to be used.
“Doctor Syn” was published in 1915 and told the story of Dr
Christopher Syn, the Vicar of Dymchurch.
A caring and respectable man of the
cloth by day and the infamous “Scarecrow” by night, the leader
of the Marsh Men.
had intended the novel to be a one-off, as the character of Syn
had been killed off at the end of the book. Its popularity,
however, was so great that Thorndike wrote six “prequel” novels
that followed Syn’s earlier years, covering his creation as a
Doctor of Divinity at Oxford and his career as Captain Clegg,
pirate of the high seas.
The Day of Syn has grown over the years from being a one day event to a
weekend and is now held bi-annually, bringing in thousands of
visitors from all over the UK and
as far afield as the US and
Australia. It is the largest free event in Kent so it is perfect
for a family day out.
These delightful pictures were taken
during the August 2006 event by the following amateur
photographers: Ron Strutt, Jean Holmes, Tom Elleman and Mike