Home

Brief Guide

How to find us

Who's Who

Church Services

Burmarsh

Newchurch

News page

Local websites

Local  snippets

Rectors

Churchwardens

Letter

Dr Syn

 

 

 

St George Ivychurch - Canterbury Diocese  

Image John Hendy

 

Church Services at St George Ivychurch - Click here for the services at Ivychurch

 

Priest in Charge Revd. Julie Coleman, The Vicarage, North Street, New Romney TN28 8DR - Tel: 01797 362308

 

Please telephone Julie for Baptisms, Weddings and Banns at Ivychurch

or for any pastoral concern which you would like to discuss

 

- Churchwarden: Margaret Waite

- Organist: Jessie Bennett

- PCC Secretary: 

- PCC Treasurer: Sarah Wreathall

- Sacristan: John Hendy

- Church keys: Celia Heritage

- Magazine Editor & Advertising: Mike Worthington to email: click here

- Web-site: Mike Worthington

 

Take a look at last months magazine by clicking on the News Page button

Would you like to subscribe to our monthly colour parish magazine? It's only 60p per month plus postage. Interested? Then send an email to:-  church.magazine@btinternet.com    Thank you.

IVYCHURCH

OUR SERVICES – ALL CHANGE!

In order to prevent our services from clashing with others in the benefice, our monthly routine at St George’s changes as from this month. From now on, services will take place on the second and fourth Sundays. The second Sunday will alternate between a Eucharist (Holy Communion) at 09.30 and a Family Service at the same time. We start this month with a Eucharist to which anyone who has been baptised into a church of any denomination and which recognises the Holy Trinity is welcome to participate.

Evensong will take place on every fourth Sunday at the usual time. May’s Evensong will therefore be sung on 24th May which is the Feast of Pentecost.

HOLY WEEK AT CANTERBURY

On the Tuesday of Holy Week I attended the Bishop of Richborough’s annual Chrism Mass in the Undercroft of Canterbury Cathedral. As always it was a wonderful and uplifting occasion and we were especially honoured that Archbishop Justin was present and gave us all his Blessing (Image on page 5). There’s nothing quite like being in the midst of a full congregation and as the proverbial Norman roof was raised, I was reminded by St Augustine’s famous saying, “He who sings prays twice”.

Many rural churches would love to reap the benefit of a full congregation and at times it’s all too easy to feel a sense of isolation. So thank God for these full houses at Canterbury Cathedral which help to blow away the cobwebs and refill our spiritual petrol tanks with hope and renewal.

CHURCH RECORDERS

The Tenterden branch of the Decorative & Fine Arts Society (NADFAS) will be starting their detailed recording of our church during May. Members of the group will be busy on Mondays from 10 am until 12.30 looking at all aspects of the church architecture, fabric, bells, textiles, records etc and will eventually submit their report in the form of a book which will be an invaluable resource for future generations.

VILLAGE NEWS

Apologies for previously omitting to mention the construction of the village’s fine new wooden bus shelter which was erected in Ivychurch Road during February. Bus services to Ivychurch are few and far between but the 10.30 to Ashford usually attracts the odd taker on most mornings of the week. More importantly, the village’s school children at last have somewhere to shelter on mornings of inclement weather. 

The New Marsh Market is a weekly market to sell and promote local produce. It started on Thursday 16th April and will operate for two months. Contact 01303 311106 for more details.

Football on The Green started on Saturday 25th April After some introductory sessions, Stepahead Support (a Registered Charity) is holding regular Football training and coaching sessions for youngsters on Ivychurch Village Green every Saturday from 10 am until 12:30. For details contact Dean Burfield, Rural Youth worker, on 07795 495 054  www.StepaheadSupport.org.uk

John Hendy


ST GEORGE   IVYCHURCH

 

Due to its size and space, St. George's is known as 'the Cathedral of Romney Marsh' and is mainly a 14th century building with a sevenbay arcade built in the late Decorated style of English architecture. The body of the church dates from around 1360 with the Perpendicular-style tower and west end being added about 100 years later. There are some remains/ reminders of an earlier, Early English, church which are mainly found at the east end and the first Rector is recorded as taking up his post in 1242.

 

The building is mainly constructed of Kentish ragstone but some Caen stone from the earlier church can also be found as can many wave-rolled flints which are a reminder of the close proximityof the English Channel.

 

The nave is particularly impressive as it is empty of seats and the space is put to uses such as exhibitions, concerts, barn dances and the annual Harvest Supper. The recently restored north aisle (originally the Lady Chapel) is now a Museum of Rural Life.

 

The population of the parish has never been large and the church is a statement of importance and propaganda on behalf of the Archbishops of Canterbury on whose land it was built in the Manor of Aldington. The blocked clerestory windows in the nave are identical to those in the south aisle of Canterbury Cathedral which indicate that masons from Canterbury were involved with its construction.

 

We operate an open church policy and visitors are welcome during the hours of daylight. Please sign our visitors' book!

 

Information concerning the church is available via our new all-colour church guide and our Architectural Guide to St. George's which contains a detailed plan. John Piper post cards are also available for sale.

 

The parish is huge and spreads across the marsh down to the Kent ditch (the boundary between Kent and East Sussex) although its population is only some 170, 50% of whom live in the village. The shape of the parish is rather unusual as it follows the parcels of land to the south-west which were progressively 'inned' (drained) in the 12th century onwards.

 

The church congregation is small but very welcoming. Services are held every other Sunday and include both a Eucharist from Common Worship and a Sung Evensong from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

 


RECTORS OF

IVYCHURCH ST. GEORGE

 Where the word “in” appears before a date it signifies that the

priest was in occupation of the benefice during that year but

 the date of his institution is not known.

 

Walter de Bradele

 

  1242  

Thomas Osmonton

    1657

Robert de Orlawestone

  in 1278  

Alexander Burnett

    1660

Hugh de Penebroke

  1288     Bishop of Aberdeen 1663

Hugh de Nottingham

  1293     Archbishop of Glasgow 1664

John de Ros

 

  in 1301     Archbishop of St Andrews  1679

Robert de Norton

 

  1323  

Robert Boys

    1663

Walter de Kemeseye

  1324  

Edward Ladbrooke

    1666

William de Foxcote

 

  in 1337  

Obadiah Brookesbye

  1676

William de Leghton

 

  1353  

Nicholas Battely

    1685

Robert de Charwelton

  1362  

Elias Sydall

    1704

Thomas de Preston

  1368     Dean of Canterbury 1728

John Marcelly

 

  1368     Bishop of St Davids 1731

Thomas Forster

 

  in 1375     Bishop of Gloucester 1731

Thomas Guldesfeld

 

  in 1404  

George Jordan

 

  1731

John Bateman

 

  1405  

Henry Heaton

 

  1754

Matthew Assheton

  1408  

Bladen Downing

 

  1777

Philip Morgan

 

  1413  

Anthony Egerton Hammond 

  1789

Bishop of Worcester 1419  

William Wing Fowle

  1802

Bishop of Ely   1427  

The Hon. Hugh Percy

  1809

Senobius Naufer

 

  1417     Dean of Canterbury 1825

Peter de Monte

 

  in 1440     Bishop of Rochester 1827

Nicholas Risshton

 

  1441     Bishop of Carlisle   1827

Robert Sturdy

 

     

George Robert Gleig

  1822

John Goldstone

 

  1492     Chaplain General to the Forces  

Herman Tuleman

 

  1504  

Wm. Charles Lockwood Wingate

1880

John Clerke

 

  1514  

John Aaron Miller

 

 

1903

Dean of Windsor   1519  

Newcome Reginald Raven

 

1910

Bishop of Bath & Wells 1523  

George Hewitt

 

 

1932

John Stokesley

    1524  

William Rutherford

 

 

1949

Bishop of London    1530  

David Allan Pope

 

 

1963

Nicholas Wotton

    1530  

Nigel George O’Connor

 

1965

First Dean of Canterbury 1542  

Walter Littlewood

 

 

1975

Dean of York   1544  

John Mark Arnott Roberts

 

1982

John Armerar

    1555  

John Harold Coleman

 

1992

Andrew Peerson

    1563            

Henry Wayland

    1589     PRIESTS-IN-CHARGE  

Gervase Nidd

    1614  

Martin Nicholas Dale

  2004

John Sandford

    1615  

James Lewis Field 

 

  2008

Thomas Jackson

    1629            

John Banks

    1647            
                 

 

 

If you would like to make a donation towards the upkeep of any of these four wonderful churches then please telephone

 

Priest in Charge  The Vicarage, North Street, New Romney TN28 8DR - Tel: 01797 362308

 

Please telephone for Baptisms, Weddings and Banns at Dymchurch or for any pastoral concerns which you would like to discuss.